8 New Ways to Get More Instagram Followers in 2019
Times have changed, and it’s not as easy to get more Instagram followers as it was a year ago.
With over 1 billion monthly users, an ultra-smart algorithm, and tons of clever, creative brands on Instagram, it’s a competitive place if you want to grow your account and boost your following.
So if you really want to stand out, show off your brand, and get more followers on Instagram, you have to work smarter and harder.
In the following post, we’re sharing 8 new ways to, reach your target audiences and get more Instagram followers in 2019:
Tip #1: Get More Instagram Followers with a Branded and Complete Instagram Profile
If you want to get more Instagram followers this year, you need to pay attention to what your Instagram profile looks like as a whole.
Your feed is the first opportunity you have to make a great impression and entice people to hit the “follow” button. And since your Instagram profile is becoming as important as your homepage, you want to make sure it looks on point.
When it comes to converting visitors into followers, it’s no longer just the editing style of your photos that need to be consistent. You also want to have a great Instagram profile photo, an effective Instagram bio, active stories, and coordinating cover photos for your Instagram highlights.
Luckily, it’s easy to build a professional-looking feed with a well-curated and cohesive Instagram aesthetic!
Gorgeous Instagram aesthetics aren’t a new trend on Instagram. In fact, businesses of every size, from startups to super-brands, are curating their feeds to appeal to new followers.
But what’s important for 2019 is that you make sure every aspect of your feed and every post aligns with the aesthetic you’ve chosen for your brand.
So whether you’re posting on Instagram Stories, publishing an IGTV video, or creating highlights for your profile page, you need to make sure everything aligns with and represents your overall branding and Instagram aesthetic.
Here are a few tips to nailing your aesthetic from every angle:
- Spend some time getting to know Adobe Lightroom: The free app version of the tool is super powerful when it comes to editing and enhancing your photography. Plus you can use Lightroom mobile presets — which act like filters for your photos — to really hone in on that aesthetic. If you’re not sure where to start with Lightroom, check out our video guide with photographer and content creator, Maddy Corbin!
- Use Instagram Stories templates for your posts: If you regularly post on Instagram Stories (which you should be!) you might want to start using Instagram Stories templates this year. This will help make your stories more uniform and complimentary to your feed posts. There are tons of different apps like Canva and Unfold that can help you with creating templates, or if you know your way around Photoshop, we have 19 free Instagram Stories templates to share with you!
- Introduce your brand through Instagram Stories highlights: The highlights on your Instagram profile give you an opportunity to court new followers with your best content and give them a sense of what your business is all about. So you want to make sure that the content that you’re hosting on highlights, as well as the icons you’re using for your cover images, is in line with your aesthetic.
- Style your IGTV videos to suit your aesthetic: If you’re creating videos for your IGTV channel, think about the background or set of your video. Small tweaks to your room styling or where you’re recording from can make a big difference when it comes to tying all your content to your brand aesthetic.
Tip #2: Get More Instagram Followers by Using Hashtags and Location Tags in Your Instagram Stories
And with so many new creative tools, brands are getting more and more creative with their Instagram Stories as they try to reach new audiences and boost their followers.
But it’s important to remember the basics when it comes to optimizing your Instagram Stories while you’re busy testing out all the new features!
Instagram Stories appear on the Instagram Explore page, which means that people who don’t even follow you can still find and watch your stories.
And if they like what they see, they might even tap follow on your profile!
But besides appearing on the Explore page, your story can also appear in the stories for different locations and hashtags!
If you didn’t know, most Instagram geo-locations and hashtags have their own stories attached to them too. So you can watch any recent stories that were published using a location or hashtag sticker, even if you don’t know that user or follow their account.
This is hugely under-utilized by brands on Instagram, so if you’re looking to get more followers, it’s time to start using these features!
All you have to do is add a hashtag or location sticker to your Instagram Stories posts!
You can also “hack” Instagram by adding hashtags and then hiding them by reducing the font size, using the same color as the background of your image, or adding a GIF or sticker on top of the hashtags.
If you’re part of a live event, this is your time to shine and get more followers on Instagram! Whether it’s a conference, event, or holiday, this is the time when people are more invested in seeing what’s happening in real time on Instagram, so making your story discoverable by others is a great way to get new eyes on your Instagram profile.
When your story is added to the story for a location, you’ll usually receive a notification from Instagram. When a photo or video from your story is visible on a hashtag or location page, you’ll see the name of that page when you look at who’s seen your story.
If you go to your Instagram Explore page, you’ll see the live story for the current city you’re in – but your story only has the chance to be added to this if you add a location sticker to your Instagram Stories. So you don’t want to miss out on that opportunity to be in front of new audiences!
Not sure where to start when it comes to using Instagram Stories for your business? Don’t worry — we’ve got you covered! We have a brand new video course to help you get started, grow your following, and create killer Instagram Stories for your brand or business!
#3: Share Selfies to Get More Instagram Followers (Yes, Really)
There’s no denying that Instagram is still a very social place. And people want to follow accounts that they can relate to, regardless of whether that’s a brand, influencers, or person they went to high school with.
So it’s important to make your Instagram account as personable and relatable as possible, and really show off what your business and brand is all about.
One of the easiest ways to introduce new audiences to your brand is through video. You can immediately set the tone, share some behind-the-scenes footage, and show off what sets your brand apart.
Mejuri is a great example of a brand that shows off their ethos and business through Instagram Stories and videos. With regular appearances from the brand’s founder, designers, and wider business team, you really get to know and love the whole brand!
If you follow Later on Instagram, you might spot our very own Taylor Loren popping in to announce something special, or catch some tips from the marketing team on Instagram Stories! It’s important that you get to know the faces and personalities behind the brand, just as much as the business and products!
Plus, there’s no better spokesperson for your business than your employees! Why not ask your team to post and share content about your business plans, launches or special campaigns this year? If you can get your team involved in creating company content for your brand, it adds more personality and behind-the-scenes insights for your followers. You may find your page will be seen by new audiences that already have connections with your employees and an interest in your brand!
So next time you’re crafting an Instagram story, or planning an IGTV video, think about including more face-to-face screen time and introducing your followers (both old and new) to your brand!
Tip #4: Create Instagram Ads that Help You Get More Instagram Followers
Instagram is a very competitive marketplace for brands, but there’s a real opportunity to build your followers if you present the right type of ads to new audiences.
Running your own Instagram ad campaign isn’t that difficult, but it can be intimidating to many small business owners and influencers who haven’t done it before.
There’s a whole host of different types of Instagram ads you can run for your account — from feed-style images and videos, to promoted Instagram Stories ads that will appear as your target audience taps through stories. What’s important is making sure you’re targeting the right audience, in the right way!
Thankfully, targeting an audience in Instagram with a sponsored post couldn’t be easier — Instagram does all the hard work for you!
Instagram already pulls in a “similar audience” that you can share the post to, or you can easily create your own audience in the app by choosing an interest, age range, and the genders you want to promote to.
For example, if you’re posting a photo about a tea shop in San Diego that’s frequented by millennials, you can boost your post to people who are interested in tea, live in San Diego, and are females between the age of 20-35.
But remember half the battle with Instagram adverts is knowing what kind of content resonates most with your audience. So spend some time investigating whether your audience enjoys video content over still images in their feed, or if Instagram Stories is where you get the most engagement.
Finally, make sure you have a strong call-to-action in your Instagram ads. Whether that’s driving your audience to visit your profile, shop your feed, or check out your latest collection on your website, you want to make sure you’re guiding them to your homepage where they can learn more about your business and offering.
Tip #5: Promote Your Instagram Content on Other Platforms to Get More Instagram Followers
If you want to get more Instagram followers, it’s time to think about your Instagram strategy as a part of your wider marketing efforts.
It’s really easy to just focus in on what you can do to improve your Instagram following and get blinkered by the way the app works.
Instead, think about how your other marketing channels — like your website, email newsletter, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube — can lead your audience to your Instagram page.
Cross-promoting your Instagram content on other channels is a really easy way to guide your existing followers to your Instagram page (where they’re likely to tap follow as they already know your brand!) or introduce yourself to new audiences if they’ve found you from a different platform.
Here are a couple of tips on how to start cross-promoting your Instagram content on other platforms:
- Integrate your Instagram feed into your website design: This is such a simple change that could really help your get more Instagram followers. If you’re hosting your website on WordPress, there are tons of different plugins that can help you integrate your Instagram feed into your website. Now every visitor that comes to your website will see your beautiful Instagram aesthetic and might just want to see more and follow!
- Invite audiences to ‘find out more’ on Instagram: If you have a platform, like YouTube, for example, that’s really thriving with an engaged audience, you can use this follower-power to invite audiences to check out your Instagram feed, especially if you’re sharing something exclusive there. For example, if you are a fashion brand, you could share a preview of your new collection on YouTube and invite your viewers to check out the big reveal of the whole collection on Instagram Stories on a specific date.
- Collaborate with other brands: Collaborations are an awesome way to boost your following on Instagram. Especially if you can team up with a brand or business that has a similar target audience and demographics to you. Whether you’re writing a guest post for their blog or hosting an Instagram takeover, you’re exposing your Instagram page to new audiences!
Tip #6: Get More Instagram Followers By Creating a Custom Instagram Stories AR Filter For Your Brand
“Augmented Reality,” or AR for short, may seem like space-age jargon, but we’re actually exposed to it every day on Instagram!
If you’ve spotted (or even tried out) the cute puppy ears or love heart filters on Instagram Stories, you’ve been using AR!
This year, Facebook has made it even easier for brands to create their own custom AR filters for Instagram Stories with the launch of Spark AR Studio!
At the moment, Facebook is in the testing stages for Spark AR Studio, so only some brands can join and start creating custom AR filters for their brand! But, we’re hoping it will be rolled out to everyone in 2019 so that once approved by Facebook, your filter could be used and shared by thousands of Instagram users (if done right!).
When someone uses your branded AR filter in their stories, viewers can see who created it and will be prompted to try it out themselves. So it’s a great way to get your filter in front of a new audience in a lighthearted and fun way
Ready to take the leap in AR? Here’s a few tips when creating a custom filter for your brand:
- Make it shareable: Remember that every time someone uses your AR filter, your brand name will be across the top of the post, along with a prompt from Instagram to try it out! But if you really want to encourage more share, make the message of the AR filter to share it far and wide. Like Instagram’s AR filter collaboration with US dancer-turned-actress Maddie Ziegler to promote kindness. When selected in selfie mode, the filter causes hearts to fill the screen, and you’ll be prompted to tag a friend you want to support. A simple call-to-action like this could make all the difference to the amount of shares you see with your AR filter!
- Include your branding: Without going into a full-blown sales pitch, you want to make sure you’re including some element of your business branding in your AR filter. This will help boost your brand recognition and provide a friendly reminders to new audiences of who created the filter. Adidas does this really well with their AR filter!
- Keep it fun: Some of the best AR filters are the simplest — they’re just there to add a little fun to your Instagram Stories. Check out how Disney has nailed the fun filter game by including cute Minnie and Mickey Mouse ears to their AR filter.
Tip #7: Collaborate With Awesome Brands to Get More Followers on Instagram
The power of a collaboration or a co-marketing campaign for your business, is huge!
Teaming up with like-minded and complementary business and brands will introduce your profile to a new and engaged audience you may never have reached before. So when an Instagram user discovers your profile through a co-marketing effort, they’re likely to hit that follow button if they have similar interests or are the right demographic for your brand.
Plus, co-marketing campaigns don’t have to be complicated or costly! What’s more important is who you partner with. You want to make sure that you have a mutually beneficial partnership and that both your audiences will benefit from your collaboration efforts.
And some of the best collaborations come from brands and businesses that are in completely different industries! For example, ecommerce store Bando teamed up with Starbucks to create gorgeous cups for the season. The collaboration resonated with both their audiences and created a great opportunity for the brands to boost their following.
And don’t worry if you’re not an Instagram giant like Starbucks yet, even smaller brands under the 10k mark can still benefit from collaborations. Instagram Stories takeovers, co-written blog posts or eBooks and co-hosting Instagram live sessions and IGTV videos are easy, and quick ways to create a co-marketing campaign that could make a real difference to your followers this year.
Tip #8: Build Long Lasting Influencer Projects to Get More Instagram Followers
Influencer marketing is all about building genuine trust and loyalty with your followers. And if you partner with an influencer for your brand or business, they act as an ambassador for your brand.
But the key to getting more followers on Instagram with brand ambassadors is having a long-lasting project. There’s no point putting time, effort and budget into a quick-win influencer campaign. Instead, try to work on year-long projects with your brand ambassadors.
With Instagram sponsored post tags, users are more aware of ad placements and influencer marketing than ever before, so a one-time post from an influencer mentioning your brand could come across as an ad.
Instead, you want to really build trust and brand loyalty for the long-term, so collaborate with an influencer who has a genuine passion about your brand and can show this off to their audience all year round.
Their honest and genuine energy for your brand or business will come across in their posts, especially if they’re posting regularly!
Growing your Instagram account can often seem like a challenge, but if you follow the right techniques and strategies, you could definitely get more Instagram followers in 2019!
Remember it’s a combination of creative content, targeting the right audiences, and promoting your business in the right way. Try out some of these tips in 2019 and see how much your account can grow this year!
Want to stay on top of all the latest Instagram trends? Join +1 million marketers learning how to grow their business online with Later!
The post 8 New Ways to Get More Instagram Followers in 2019 appeared first on Later Blog.
This post was originally published on Later